
They have increased his feeds and calorie count of his milk, they've weaned on his sedatives, they are making him do pressure support sprints on the vent to prepare to extubate, and overall he is doing well. I've been able to hold him a few more times and have been changing diapers, giving sponge baths, putting on lotion, pumping my life away, and asking a lot of questions. The nurses, fellows and attending physicians have been so good about answering my never ending questions about everything Maddox is experiencing. I want to know as much as possible since soon it will be my responsibility to give him his complete care. TERRIFYING! Though I will say that I am definitely more comfortable with everything now compared to four weeks ago. I want to know when things are good and when he's having a hard time. I've gotten to the point where I basically understand the vent readings and where Maddox should be with his end titles and volumes, and what rates and pressures mean what.

I am so grateful for modern medicine and technology. Seriously, for being somewhat of a Luddite, I can say even though I don't understand how all the machinery works, I am beyond grateful to live in an age filled with life saving technology. Maddox wouldn't be here, but through the miracles of our Heavenly Father by means of modern medicine, experimental surgery, and very gifted and dedicated people.
The residents, fellows and many of the doctors are here non stop. They seriously never leave. I'm not sure when or if some of them ever sleep. It is amazing, but I tease some of them about their obsession with this place. I'm grateful for Maddox's sake and my own that they are so focused on their work, but I'm not sure I would be very understanding if it were my spouse who never left the hospital.
Thank you, thank you to all who have sent cards filled with encouraging and uplifting words, packages filled with goodies and entertainment, emails, texts, phone messages, etc... All have brightened my days and helped me to remember that life exists outside of these sterile rooms. A special thanks to Lisa who sent me this adorable and meaningful necklace. Love it!!

I am so looking forward to taking Maddox home, hopefully in a few weeks. Right now he just needs to eat and grow and gear up for pulling that ET tube out of his nose. I sincerely hope that he isn't permanently lopsided since one nostril has been stretched beyond recognition. He had such a cute little nose. Everyone assures
me that it will snap back and look normal eventually. I guess if not we'll just add it to the war wounds that he'll wear proudly. He's a fighter this little guy. I couldn't be more grateful for the opportunity to know him in this life and get to be his mom for eternity.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Congratulations! You have hit another pivotal moment in being a heart mom....actually understanding vent settings, medications, and all of the hospital lingo! You will feel like you have a much earned medical degree when you walk out of there. I am continually amazed at how well Maddox is doing. A true miracle.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait for you guys to get to take him home! Love you!
ReplyDeletei honestly think you should be able to earn some sort of honorary degree! :)
ReplyDeletethat necklace is beautiful, and it's so so great to hear this good news!
He looks good!! I can't wait to see him. Don't forget to take care of yourself as well!
ReplyDeleteI love pictures with his eyes open - he is a true Dixon!!! Glad to hear that things are looking good. Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteAlissa, he looks so good. Now its waiting, lots of waiting for him to grow bigger and stronger. Have a wonderful week at home, and Happy Thanksgiving.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear is doing well!! Hope you get to take him home soon. Get some needed rest. You are all in our prayers.
ReplyDeletePS. His nose will be fine, Grant's turned out ok;)hehe