Sunday, November 1, 2009

Enjoying a good day

Maddox is making progress. Today was a good day for him.They are continually working on weaning him off of his meds and ventilator support. It is a constant process of steps forward and steps back, but today we took steps forward.



Yesterday we had a little scare. The IV Maddox had in his head wasn't working and needed to be taken out. The nurses took it out, then a little bit later, after repositioning him, they discovered that the central line he had in his neck had come out and was just laying on the bed next to him. That meant he had no access to his medications and they weren't sure how long that had been the case. Maddox has been difficult to get an IV into and so pretty quickly the nurses called in the experts and had 6-7 people in the room buzzing around his little bed. I sat off to the side praying my little heart out that they would be able to get an IV in quickly. They first tried to get one in his head. No luck. They finally were able to get one in his foot. Amazingly he was able to maintain his heart rate and his blood pressure just fine, but they noticed that without the medication his profusion was not as good. His feet and hands turned a little more purple than pink, but soon returned to normal. They also decided to put a central line in his femeral vein(groin area) to replace the one that was in his neck. Overall he did wonderfully, but it was pretty nerve wracking.



Maddox smiled for the first time today. He did it several times and I luckily got a picture. He must have been having nice, drugged up dreams. Gotta love those morphine and methadone induced happy naps.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

11 comments:

  1. Oh that's so scary! I hope you keep having good days! Maddox is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary for you Liss. Are you doin ok??? Your blogs sound so posative and upbeat. You must be exhausted. Do you have any good books to read???
    Where are you staying- still at the hospital? What's your address?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweetie! Glad to hear you had a good day. We're still thinking about you guys, and praying for you LOTS. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't know me, but I have been following your story since sometime in August. (I saw a link on an LDS homeschool discussion board) I am slow at this blog stuff, so I never before noticed the "comment" option. I just wanted you to know that my prayers and those of my family are with you and little Maddox and all of your family. What an example of faith and diligence you are to us. The boys ask me often, "how is Maddox today?" We will continue to keep you in our prayers. Thank you!
    Shelly Lutes (Ephraim, Utah)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great picture. Keep taking steps forward Maddox. How are your kids doing? Are Tracen and Brynna still with you mom?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh sweet baby, whatever it takes, I am glad he is having happy naps! :)

    love you alissa!

    ps...
    do you have text messaging on your phone plan?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alissa,
    For some reason, I haven't been able to leave comments lately,though I have tried. Anyway, I check in everyday to see how you and your precious baby boy are doing!!! He is such a miracle baby!
    You guys have been through so much lately. I am inspired by your faith, love, optimism and strength!
    Can you please send me the address of where you are staying in Boston? Thanks! We miss ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We miss you back here in Mansfield! You are all in our thoughts and prayers. We hope to see you all together again at Christmas, too! The next time you talk to Brynna, tell her I miss her and her little smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, girl! I'm sorry you're having to do this alone now -- well, alone except for Heavenly Father. He always wants us to learn to rely on Him more, right? I wish I could be up there and hang out with you. Can't wait for you both to come home!

    ReplyDelete