Maddox is two weeks old tomorrow!!

It's amazing that 14 days can seem like an eternity. Time is different in this place. The rising and setting of the sun have very little meaning here. I feel as though I'm stuck in a time warp where I am moving in slow motion while life continues to move on around me. It is hard to believe that life could ever be normal after this, and yet that hope keeps me going.
Maddox is doing well and we are reminded daily that his life is truly a miracle. One of the cardiologists came to check on him today and asked why he wasn't riding a bike yet? I had to chuckle. Maddox has continually surprised them and although we still don't know what might be required for him to be healthy and lead a normal life, we do know that he is making great strides and that blessings are coming to fruition before our eyes.
Today they let Maddox practice breathing on his own for about an hour. He wasn't breathing completely on his own, but was initiating every breath, while the ventilator would boost each one and make it a good sized breath. They call them "sprints" when they let them do that for a while, and then give them a break by upping their vent support again. I am excited for Maddox to be extubated, but terrified at the same time. I am very comfortable with taking this part slowly. We don't want to extubate him too soon and then have to reintubate. Hopefully by next week he'll be off the vent, but I'm not in too big of a rush. Slow and steady wins the race, right?

He's totally chillin in this picture. He's such a honey!! Love this boy!!
For all who want to know, I can be reached at:
Maddox's room#: 617-355-9815
(we cannot use our cell phones when we are in the CICU due to interference with the machinery that keeps our babies alive.)
Address:
Alissa Dixon
C/O Center for Families
Farley 111
300 Longwood Ave.
Boston, MA. 02115
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Wow 2 weeks! I am glad that everything is going good. He is so sweet and precious, what a cute little guy! Praying for you always! Oh, I love your last post with that picture of him smiling. So cute! You are amazing and hopefully time will start flying and you'll be home soon!!!
ReplyDeleteAlissa and Jeff,
ReplyDeleteMy prayers go out to you and little Maddox. I sobbed as I read through your blog. Having lost my first born son, and then 10 months later watched as my premature daughter was rushed out of the delivery roomm & into the NICU where we stood next to her little bed unable to hold her, except for her tiny finger. Our stories are different but I remember the worries of an unknown tomorrow. My heart can still feel the agony in my passion filled prayers, as I pleaded to Heavenly Father,"PLEASE let me keep this one".
I pray that you will be embraced by the comforting arms of the Spirit and given strength and courage for the days that lie ahead until you are able to bring your sweet boy home.
Maddox is truly a blessed little boy to have such wonderful and loving parents. May the Lord continue to bless and keep you in His arms.
Sincerely,
-Lydia Holt
(Mansfield 2nd ward)
Happy Two Weeks Maddox! You are a strong little man with very loving parents! Keep up the good work in learning how to let your lungs work with your heart, but take your time so that you don't give your mommy any scares ok??
ReplyDeleteAlissa it was SO good to talk to you today! I'm so glad that Maddox is doing better and that he's surprising even the doctors. He is such a beautiful and blessed little boy, especially to have parents like you and Jeff. Love you and miss you!
ReplyDeleteOh, I miss you and our little tough guy! I am going to try and come up there if he has surgery next week.
ReplyDelete