Yesterday at my appointment they said I had reached the severe level and so we needed to do something about it, meaning I needed to be DRAINED!!!
I had to lay with a plastic straw in my stomach, my uterus contracting hard around it, for 30 minutes as we filled up two liters with my internal juices. Lots of fun! Then it was Maddox's turn. Another needle was put in my stomach and then into his abdomen and over 200ml were removed from his little swollen tummy. I really hope we don't do that again. Towards the end I was biting hard on a rag to get through the last few minutes while they pushed and pulled the needle in and out trying to get the rest of the fluid. There was no pain killer folks, and really it wouldn't be too bad if it was quick, but I was laying there for at least 45 minutes not able to move. I'm glad it's over!
I was then sent up to the labor/delivery floor to watch my contractions, which I was having regularly for a few hours. They were basically just braxton hicks contractions and weren't causing me to dilate, so they eventually let me go back to my cosy little dorm room in the Children's Hospital which is connected by a bridge to the Brigham and Women's Hospital. All in all it was a successful draining and I feel much better as I'm sure Maddox does.
Maddox is doing very well and it is possible that he could be done with one surgery after birth. It is possible that he'll need additional surgeries, but the cardiologist said that if he responds well to the first one, that might be all he needs. YIPEEEE!!!! We are worlds away from where we were a month ago. The changes that they made to Maddox's heart during the fetal intervention are helping his heart to get BETTER! It is slowly improving, which is a miracle, and one that the doctors here are recognizing as such. Pretty amazing! I also found out from my OB/GYN doctor here that it is possible that I could deliver Maddox the good old fashioned way and not have to go through a c-section. If Maddox doesn't handle labor well, then of course we'll do a c-section, but it might be possible for me to avoid being cut open, which would be great and would really help with my recovery and being able to focus on my little man after he's born. I'm absolutely willing to do whatever we need to do to get him here, so we'll just wait and see.
I am very happy that I came back up here and know that Maddox and I are in good hands. It is pretty amazing to look back over the last few weeks and see how the Lord has blessed us and directed us to know what to do. This experience has been full of growth and learning and I know we're not done yet, but I am so grateful for the opportunity to see the hand of the Lord so clearly in my life. Thank you so much for all the prayers and fasting. We still have a long way to go, and I would ask you to continue to pray. Our Heavenly Father truly hears and answers our prayers and through Him all things are possible. Miracles do happen and we feel so blessed to have experienced them first hand.
Things sound like they are looking up we will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers! You have amazing strength and faith! We love you guys!
ReplyDeleteOh Alissa, you are so so strong. I just pictured you there...during that procedure...I am in awe (as always:)
ReplyDeleteSuch happy happy news to hear about the improvements Maddox is making. I am overjoyed!
Oh Alissa, I love and miss you. Your strength and faith are amazing. I'm so happy that you and Maddox have made it this far and that your little man is doing well. We are all still here praying for you and Maddox. You can do this!
ReplyDeleteSo glad things are looking better. Hope that fluid stays away. Sounds so painful. What wonderful doctors you must have. We are so glad you are continuing to see miracles. We hope your other kiddos are doing well and you are in our prayers. Love you.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds so incredibly painful! I will be down in Boston next week with my little one for a Dr.'s appt. If you need anything, please feel free to let me know (928-830-4632).
ReplyDeleteI have enjoyed reading your blog and getting to know your little ones a bit. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you - like bring you non-hospital food.
Melissa (Turley)
Wow, you are one tough lady for going through that! I'd be biting on a rag too! I'm so happy to hear that things are going well with Maddox. Love you guys and pray for you always!
ReplyDeleteOH Alissa, you bring back bad memories. I han an amnio that was HORRIBLE with the needle being pushed in and out and all around. I am so sorry. That is a horrible event but now you have such good news. I am so happy for you and baby Maddox.
ReplyDeleteOh wow. That sounds terrible! I was reading an article this morning and wondered if this was the same experimental in utero surgery that you and Maddox went through (see link from an amazing adult CHD survivor: http://tricuspid.wordpress.com/2009/10/01/the-dirty-little-secret-of-hlhs/ ) especially read the end of his post and link to the journal article. If this is what they are doing in Boston, it makes me so excited for the future generations of kids who will have their hearts saved. :)
ReplyDeleteAlli
You are so strong. I don't know if I could do it...especially without my hubby. Just thinking about it, makes me upset. But, how amazing that we have a comforter wherever we go. Everytime I read your posts, I know that you've been so blessed. It sounds like things are getting better and I hope you don't have to do that again. We'll keep the prayers coming.
ReplyDeleteYou are the Hulk. I can't even imagine... I also can't wait to see this baby when he's OUT! Did you find ut more about the photo company? Don't hesitate to call them :)
ReplyDelete