
He had a pretty good night and today he has done okay too. He spent a few hours in the interventional radiology department getting a semi-permanent drain put in his stomach to help with all the fluid, and to attempt to get a picc line in, which is basically a longer term IV that goes either into his heart or right next to it. They have tried a couple times already, one time resulted in it being put in an artery that bled and bled and him needing a blood transfusion. The fact that he is on a high dosage of blood thinner adds to his high amount of bleeding. Unfortunately today, even with the guidance of ultrasound, they were unable to get the picc line in. They want to get the line out of his neck which has already been in for several days and shouldn't be in longer than a week due to the increased risk of infection. They are now talking about going in and doing it surgically either when they do heart surgery or just doing surgery for that purpose alone. We have no immediate plans for heart surgery, so I'm not sure what they'll end up doing. Needless to say, life has been a little stressful.

Jeff is leaving tomorrow and I am not looking forward to being here alone, especially if more days like yesterday are in the future, and I have to assume that just by nature of being in the ICU, yesterday is not likely to be our one and only rough day.
For FHE this week, Jeff and I decided to do a little decorating of Maddox's room. Well, at least the glass door of his room.

I LOVE the poster Jeff drew and sometimes can't believe all the talents my Hubby has!




Maddox really is showing his superhero abilities!! We are praying for things to settle down and that he'll make up the ground that was lost yesterday.
So happy 1 week birthday Mad!!! We have miles to go, but we are so grateful that we have you to share this journey with.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Darling Maddox...you have already brought your mom and dad enough excitement for a long time. Simmer down now. Can't wait to kiss you, hold you, and love on you! Get stronger so you won't need that yucky breathing machine. We want you home for Christmas, so please cooperate.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Aunt Aimee
I haven't been on this blog in a little while and just checked it. In tears the whole time. You have a beautiful baby. It amazes me all of the technology that is out there to help him. We'll keep praying.
ReplyDeleteHoly smokes. Initiation or not, those are absolutely horrible moments to go through. I am so sorry for you and Jeff. There is nothing like having just had a baby, being glued to a breast pump all the time (total empathy from your post below!), and then having to watch your baby being resuscitated. I am so glad that Maddox pulled through his first big rough spot and I will pray that it was just an ET tube problem (we had a few of those... it is such a necessary evil!) and not cardiac related. Keep fighting Maddox!
ReplyDeleteAs far as the PICC line, that stinks that he is already hard to find a line. Grant usually has his arterial and PICC lines placed in a surgical procedure, but I know at our hospital, they could usually still be placed at the bedside using pain meds and paralytics (and avoiding full anesthesia). Hopefully that will be the case. We were allowed to watch the process a few times once we had been there for a while. Hopefully he can avoid a trip to the OR and his doctors can find a good line. We check in every night for updates... do you have an address at the hospital?
Oh man, he is so cute. I hope he knows we all love him. Any kid would be in heaven with those pictures!
ReplyDeleteWow, those pictures are great! He will love those when he gets older! And, Keyan is totally the spitting image of Jeff, oh my goodness!!! Maddox is definetely a little superhero, I hope he has better days. Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteLook at those drawings...wow!
ReplyDeleteYou guys are sweet to decorate, and hold FHE! :)
I so admire your courage as you make your way through this Alissa. You exude faith and confidance (even if you don't always feel that way).
xoxo
I sure hope things calm down out there and that Maddox improves more and more. Love the drawings! Jeff you should work for Disney and make movies.
ReplyDelete