Can I just say how much I am looking forward to the draining process. Actually I'm having some anxiety about going through it again, and don't think I haven't asked about the possibility of doing it after I get an epidural. The answer. NO.
I guess I'll survive and this time Jeff will be with me, although he might be holding my hand while he sits with his head between his knees to keep from getting sick. My sweet guy is not a fan of needles, or bodily fluids for that matter. I can't really blame him.
Jeff gets here tomorrow afternoon and I am giddy!! It's been four weeks and I'm excited to see him!!! It will be nice to have a couple days to hang out before Maddox joins the party, but I'm excited to meet our little man and start the next phase, although I will admit to being nervous about all that is coming.
The last four weeks, while being lonely and challenging, have been filled with a lot of meaningful and sweet moments. I have been shown so much love by so many people here and have been watched out for and served in many ways.

Just last night two sisters from the ward I have attended a few times, showed up with a vase of flowers and took me out to dinner at a restaurant NOT within walking distance of the hospital. It was delightful and so kind of them. I felt so much Iove from these women I hardly know. I have also been so touched by the doctors, nurses, and employees at the hospital who have gone out of their way to make sure I have what I need and to provide some human interaction. I basically spend most of the day alone, so those moments have helped me to feel almost normal.
It's an interesting experience to live in a hospital. There are many different kinds of people experiencing and watching their children experience various types of health issues. I have seen children with heart conditions, broken bones, cancer, unique aging diseases, those who are wheel chair bound and, those with mental retardation. You name it, this hospital's got it, and yet no one is that unique or weird or different. There are rich and poor, educated and ignorant, religious and agnostic, and yet, in this atmosphere there is a visible constant, a great equalizer... Trials.
No one is immune to the difficult things that are part of this mortal life. Sometimes we feel like no one else can relate to us, like no one else knows what we are feeling or could possibly understand the pain we are in. False. Look around. Life is hard and there will be clouds and storms that will plague the skies of every life. How can we see the suffering around us and not feel moved to do something? How can we not try to lift each other up? I wonder why I haven't been more willing to do so. Do I really think I am that busy or that doing the laundry is more important?
A hospital can be a place filled with much grief and strain and yet full of compassion, service and charity. I have already seen and experienced some of both. It is such a blessing to have seen so much good being done by so many, and to have felt an increased desire to follow their example to love and serve others around me. That has been one of the lessons I have learned so far during this experience. I must open my eyes and heart to others.
I want to thank all of you for good that you do in the world. My hope is to be like you and more like my Savior, Jesus Christ, and not let this experience be in vain, but that I might learn and be able to show and teach my children how to love and serve those around them.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Alissa,
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing. I've been following the progress of little Maddox & your family is in our prayers. There really is so much to learn by looking outside ourselves. I admire your strength & all that you offer me to learn. Thanks for the links on the right too--great websites.
Love, Melissa
Beautifully written. Thanks for the eye opener.
ReplyDeleteYou're such the writer. Thanks for sharing the insight you've gained. Good luck with everything! I can't to hear how it goes.
ReplyDeleteJanelle
I'm sorry you have to get drained again, but so glad Maddox has made it this far! I'm glad Jeff is there finally! You are amazing, love you tons, and can't wait for Maddox to get here!
ReplyDelete