Well, our doctors' appointments today were not pleasant and we are faced with decisions that no parent should have to make. My head aches with all the tears that I've shed, and my heart hurts as I've watched my sweet husband do the same.
We have had to talk to the cardiologist, neonatologist, and perinatologist and all were giving us important yet crushing information about the almost certain failure of any attempts to save our baby's life. His heart is failing, and he is too small to do anything about it. All the things that they can attempt have complications, most of them ending in severe brain damage or death. There is so much fluid built up in his body that his lungs most likely won't be able to work even on a ventilator, and the fluid is only increasing. They have given us the option of just waiting until he is gone and then have a vaginal delivery. Jeff and I both don't feel like we can just sit and wait for him to die without making some attempt to save him. We also don't want to cause him unnecessary pain. The plan at this moment is to do a c-section on Wednesday. All the doctors and surgeons will be in place to work on him at that point. There is definitely a possibility that he won't even make it to Wednesday. I have an appointment with the perinatologist on Tuesday and then they will check on Wednesday before the c-section to make sure he is alive. At this point I am praying that if he isn't going to make it, that he returns peacefully home before we start the process of sticking him full of tubes, poking and cutting. We really don't want to have to make a choice, so we are praying that Heavenly Father does it for us. We have done all we can do at this point and our hearts, minds and bodies are just exhausted and raw. This next week will be more difficult than any time in our lives and Jeff and I are both hoping that we will make it through.
Please pray for us, and that the Lord's will will be done, but that if Maddox isn't going to make it that he is taken home quietly before Wednesday. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers in our behalf. We have felt your love and concern and know that we'll survive this experience because of our knowledge of the gospel and our trust in the Atonement of our Savior. We are so thankful for the sealing power which gives our little family the chance to be together forever no matter what may happen this next week.
Oh, Alissa. I don't know how you are so strong though this trial. I can't imagine what you and Jeff and the kids are going through. I wish I could just give you a big hug. We will be praying for you and your baby. At least you know that Baby Maddox is so special that he might not have to prove himself on this earth.
ReplyDeleteMy heart is broken. We will be thinking of you and Maddox and praying that he will be taken peacefully, if it is the Lord's will.
ReplyDeleteOh, Dixon family. How our hearts ache for you. We will be thinking of you and praying for you guys this week.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your news this week. We will pray for you all as you have hard decisions to make this next week. We hope that no matter what happens Maddox will not have to suffer.
ReplyDeleteYou are so strong. We are continuously praying for little Maddox and your family. We hope all goes well. You are always in our thoughts.
ReplyDeleteWow, I am inspired by your strength and testimony. You are a special person and I can feel the spirit that radiates from you as I read your posts today. We will definitely be praying for you and you guys have the Lord on your side, no matter what happens. (by the way, this is Tara Manning.)
ReplyDeleteElise shared this with me; I hope that is ok. I cried and cried for you as I read your posts. It seems like the lessons we have to learn on this earth are sometimes more than we can bear. Only a mother who has lost a child can truly know what you are feeling right now. There are no words to be said; just know we are praying and fasting for you that all will go well and our Heavenly Father's will be done.
ReplyDeleteprayers being said for you, I saw your blog via Times and Seasons link. I hope you will be ok, that Maddox will be ok. Whatever happens,I hope all of you will feel the love of Heavenly Father and the comfort of your family/friends during this time.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE YOU ALL! AND I'M PRAYING HARD!
ReplyDeleteWe love you all so much - all of us a praying for you every time we say any prayer throughout the day. Keegan makes his whole entire prayer about you and baby maddox and your family - and he has more faith than almost anyone I know. I'm glad Zach and Jeff got a chance to talk tonight, we have been torn over whether or not you guys are up for talking - at least know we are thinking and praying and loving you from afar.
ReplyDeleteJeff and Alyssa, We are praying and fasting and crying with you. May the Lord carry you through and the Spirit fill your hearts and home with comfort like you've never felt it before.
ReplyDeleteLove, the Duckworths