Sunday, March 28, 2010

5 months

Absence makes the heart grow fonder...right? I'm sure you have all been sitting and waiting, your lives put on hold as you anxiously await the next installment of the Dixon Adventure.
Okay, maybe not. The world revolves around us only in MY mind.
Anyway...
The Dixon Adventure continues...


this chapter is entitled: VOMIT


Seriously, this kid can puke!! It has been a constant battle the past few weeks. He has had good days when we have gone down on the volume and/or density of his formula, but we have been constantly changing things up in an attempt to help him keep his food down and also gain weight. He has thrown up as many as 15 times in a day, but averages between five and ten times. It is definitely affecting his weight gain and has caused him to fall off his growth curve. He's still not on the actual curve, but had been closing the gap until the last few weeks.
Despite this, we have been working hard on tummy time, and various exercises to strengthen him and get him moving a little bit more. He is making progress. It is beyond frustrating to me however, that there is a three month waiting list with Physical Therapy through ECI(early childhood intervention), which is the organization we have been trying to work with. Three months is more time than we can waste. We are already starting off months behind and I'm sad that we are adding to it. It has felt at times like others have written Maddox off as being too far behind, or due to his extensive list of challenges, not worth helping since their ability to really make a difference was slim. I'm sure that is just the Mama Bear coming out in me as I am fighting daily to keep this baby alive, and wanting so desperately to give him a real chance at normalcy. I want those who know him to have that desire too. I want the doctors and therapists to be determined to help him and work with him with the assumption that he is normal and will catch up. He has proven so many people wrong from the beginning and I don't want to underestimate what he can do and what the Lord can do in Maddox's behalf. I finally was able to get a list of private companies to contact for a physical therapist to come and work with him. Hopefully we can get some more help soon and really get things going.
Jeff and I took Maddox to have a head consultation with a company that makes the helmets a couple of weeks ago. After driving over an hour, going through the whole exam, getting his picture taken from various angles, and doing so while Jeff, Maddox and I all felt horrible, our insurance informed us that this company was out of network and they wouldn't cover it. He definitely needs a helmet, so this past week I took Maddox to another company that makes orthotics and prosthetics and they are in network with our insurance, got us in, set up an appointment to have his head shape measured by laser and we should have the helmet within a week of doing so. This company is about 15-20 minutes away, which is SOOOO much better. I'm very excited about getting this going. I know there are some of Maddox's issues that I cannot do much about, but if I can make him look good, BY GOLLY, I'm gonna!!

Just a side note: the day jeff and I went to north Dallas for the first head consultation, Jeff had taken the day off of work and we were excited to make a day of it by stopping at the outlets, and Ikea. Jeff and I both woke up not feeling well and Maddox had been throwing up like crazy for a few days, but we decided to go anyway. The whole day we felt progressively worse, until things really reached their peak while at Ikea. Both Jeff and I made multiple trips to the bathroom and I finally made a mad dash to a bathroom to throw up and ended up going into the only open one available, which happened to be the men's restroom. By the time we made it home that night, both Jeff and I felt HORRIBLE, nauseous, achy, feverish, etc... We woke up the next day feeling so much better, but it was definitely a disappointing end to a day we had been looking forward to. BLAH.

Okay, back to the Mad-man...
He is five months old, as of the 21st, and has been attempting to eat rice cereal, applesauce, bananas, and drink milk and pedialite-all EXTREMELY small amounts, but we are giving him chances to use his mouth. He is still on continuous feeds, which makes it impossible for him to really feel hungry and want to try to eat, but we are working on it. The oral feeding is also hindered of course by the constant vomiting, but I am praying hard that he grows out of that soon. VERY SOON.Maddox is becoming part of the family and the kids are fans. They are very helpful and recognize a lot of his cues, especially the ones that say puke is imminent. Brynna has even started monitoring his feeding pump and pushing certain buttons when needed. I'm going to miss her when she goes to kindergarten in August.
Tracen and Maddox have a love-hate relationship. Tracen just wants to be in Maddox's face, kissing him, talking to him, playing(aka: twisting) his arms and hands, inspecting his diaper and feeding tube, and helping to get his pacifier back in his mouth. Unfortunately, all too often Maddox has only to see or hear that Tracen is too close and he starts to wig out. I hope some day, in the not too distant future that Tracen's regard for Maddox is returned. We might have to close the gap between their weight a little more for him to feel really comfortable with Trace, but hopefully some day they'll be good buds!


Here's a little story of the two little boys through pictures.
Enjoy.






Love them!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

10 comments:

  1. Oh Tracen, he just makes me smile! Maddox sure looks like he's getting bigger in those pictures, especially his cheeks! He is so cute! You are amazing and I don't think he could ask for a better mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you guys are still hanging on. I love the pictures - every baby loves the pacifier shove!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...there is NO better mom for Maddox!

    It warms my heart to hear about the mama bear coming out! I hope those people listen up.

    Maddox is adorable. Really really adorable! Helmet or not, he's a stud. Look at those EYES! I love that picture at the top of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maddox looks bigger and so cute! I hope you can get the therapy that he needs and he continues to improve. That has to be so hard to have others not have as much faith in his abilities as you do. Maddox will prove them all wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute pictures! He's looking good, regardless of what the scale tells you. From the last post to this one his face seems to have filled out considerably. Hope the vomiting stops ASAP! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry you are dealing with all the vomit. Bauer is the same way with Jexx and the twisting of the arms. What will we do with these boys. We are praying for Maddox and praying that your faith will be contagious to the doctors and therapists.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alissa I just love your family! Those pictures are SO adorable, I couldn't stop smiling! Keep pushin' on girl you can do it!! Maddox is absolutely beautiful! (or handsome I guess is the more appropriate term :)) We'll keep praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The relationship between Tracen and Maddox sounds just like Austin and Landon's. I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's definitely a brother thing! They are so dang cute! Sounds like such a disappointing day for you guys to end up sick on your day out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe how big Maddox is looking! He really is looking big and grown up from his last pics, what a gorgeous boy he is! Oh Alissa, what I would give to be there to help you out any time. You are always in my prayers, i love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete